Place Value up to Hundreds
- Subject: Math
- Driving Question: How do we identify place values up to the hundreds?
- Pedagogical Method: Game-Based Learning
- Grade Level: 3
- Duration: 40 minutes
- Delivery Method: Messenger Applications
● Materials: laptops/tablets/Mobile phones
Also find attached the necessary resources in the Files section
Link Worksheet Powerpoint Video Document Youtube
- Read and write numbers from 1 to 999
- Find the number just before and just after.
- Identify the place of each digit in a number.
- Arrange numbers in ascending or descending order.
- The students already know how to place values up to tens.
- Warming Up (5 minutes)
Send a group of numbers via WhatsApp (“24” “87” “16” “472”) and ask the students to read the numbers by sending an audio recording. Then, have the students answer this question: Which of these numbers has 7 tens?
- Learning Activity 1 (15 minutes)
Send Video 1 about place value that will explain the term digit and how to read/construct a 3-digit number (Before session). Add questions to the video using edpuzzle (Link 1) or Playposit. Use this activity (Link 5) as follows: Have students use the correct answers (B or C) to question “A”.
Then they send the result via whatsapp (screenshot).
- Learning Activity 2 (15 minutes)
Send a message via WhatsApp explaining the strategy of arranging the numbers, and send Link 4 to train the student on this goal.
To check for understanding: Have students send the result of the last game via whatsapp and the teacher privately texts each student who scored low to help.
- Wrap Up (10 minutes)
Send Link 6 and Link 9 to be done asynchronously. Assign Link 3 as homework and students can share a screenshot of the results with you. Use Test 1 to assess your students.Note: For early finishers or advanced students use the following activity: https://www.splashlearn.com/math/4-digit-numbers-games-for-3rd-graders